“The project is over, but my body still dances at the same time every Tuesday.”
Llew age 17, participant – Platform 1660, The Netherlands
Sarah Kate Gardiner is a British dancer, choreographer, teacher, researcher and body worker based in Amsterdam.
maker of movements, moments & ordinary miracles
TINY&mighty community dance project for big tiny people to celebrate their physical body, autonomy and instinctual nature through movement-voice improvisation, somatic play & performance. Born as a mama baby group, TINY&mighty developed as a toddlers & parents class and tailored course for anthroposophic care group Het Speelateljee. Workshops are offered to young children, their carers, kindergardens, educational institutes, cultural events & kids festivals. Now TINY&mighty Goes North to the cultural well that is ReMo Amsterdam.
Steal A Moment site-specific workshops & performances, grounded in the SaMo methodology co-created with theatre maker Jakob Proyer. Body surfing public space and social codes, repositioning audience and reframing urban space, acting as accupunture points on the energetic flow of the body of the city. First born at Dansmakers PUNCH! Festival for New Choreographic Talent, CInedans Dance Film Festival with experienced performers and Operatie Periscoop working with Moroccan youth in their neighbourhood.
Platform 1660 cross-generation community dance project with 16 & 60 year old Bijlmer residents of Dutch, Curaçaoan and Surinamese decent. In collaboration with community builder Leon Beckx, evolving the Dance Dialogue methodology. Performances at Bijlmerpark Theater, workshops for Oranje Fonds Community Arts Symposium for the dutch royals and community leaders and with Operatie Periscoop working with Moroccan mothers.
What? Dance survivalist and mother re-inventing my work-passion for the last 25 years. Co-creating: 1. Community Dance Projects 2. Site-specific Performance 3. Instant Composition
- tailor-made somatic workshops, trainings & performance, connecting people-place by rooting them in the present in SPACE. Aiming to stimulate an awake state and embodied encounters, finding common ground and celebrating difference.
- intimate solo projects that speak of the personal, invite the local and tickle the global. Stimulated by my lived experience as mother, dancer, teacher and masseur.
How? As an undercover agent of dance I:
- infiltrate corners of society, creating dance dialogues between the forgotten, misunderstood and joylessly overtrained, from royality to the homeless.
- identify a need and move in with my soul survival dance kit.
- I bridge the mainstream and alternative scene – I am a connector, a translator.
Why? I believe dance:
- as an inclusive artform for all to witness and participate in, making more visible diverse communities and their stories.
- motivates me with the questions “how can we live together?” “how can I live as a mother-artist?”
- has enormous potential for connecting, healing & social change.
Who? young & old spirits, toddlers, youth, seniors, artists, experienced & student dancers, parents, performers, babies, bodyworkers, homeless, academic students, activists, mothers, corporate workers, community leaders, vocalists, teachers, neighbours, tourists, architects, martial artists & royality …
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *